With the warm days easing into summer heat, an array of white wines have caught our attention. Overall, these are super summer sippers to pair with your patio or deck, poolside or lakeside. They also complement fish, crab, scallops, oysters, shrimp, prawns, sushi or a tasty summer salad.
Until recently, our palates preferred Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Gris/Grigio. However, this year we discovered beautiful wines ranging from the unusual white Cabernet Franc (Blanc Franc) to the wallet-friendly Turbiana grape from Lugana, Italy.
Most importantly, there are so many wonderful wines to explore this summer. For example, here are some that we have tasted from Washington state, Oregon, British Columbia, Italy, France, Iberia and New Zealand.
- Two Vintners Grenache Blanc 2018
- Savage Grace Blanc Franc 2018
- DeLille Cellars Chaleur Blanc 2018
- Long Shadows Cymbal Sauvignon Blanc 2018
- JM Cellars Sauvignon Blanc 2019
- Cairdeas Grenache Blanc 2018
Oregon and British Columbia
- Alloro Chardonnay 2018 (Oregon)
- Utopia Estate Pinot Noir Blanc “Bliss” 2017 (Oregon)
- Utopia Estate Chardonnay 2017 (Oregon)
- Clos Du Soleil Fumé Blanc 2018 (British Columbia)
- King Estate Pinot Gris 2018 (Oregon)
- Carlton Cellars Pinot Blanc 2017 (Oregon)
- Sgreva Lugana DOC Sirmio (Italy)
- Montonale Lugana DOC Montunal (Italy)
- Selva Capuzza Lugana Riserva DOC Menasso (Italy)
- Colli Vaibo Lugana DOC (Italy)
- Symington Family Altano Duoro (Iberia)
- Horgelus Gros Manseng & Sauvignon Blanc Côtes de Gascogne (France)
- Greywacke Sauvignon Blanc 2019
- Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc Southern Clays 2018
- Stoneleigh Latitude Sauvignon Blanc 2018
- Kim Crawford Pinot Grigio 2019
- Craggy Range Te Muna Sauvignon Blanc 2018
- Saint Clair Wairau Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2018
In conclusion, we encourage you to try something new this summer. We prefer whites that are crisp, refreshing and citrusy, with hints of minerality and salinity. In contrast, some people prefer rounded whites that are full-bodied and oaky, with flavors of tropical fruits. Whatever your palate, without doubt, you can find some special summer sippers to pair with warm evenings.
Margot and Dave