We first tasted Youngberg Hill wine when we lived in Silverton, Oregon more than two decades ago. Just 10 minutes from downtown McMinnville, Youngberg Hill sits on a 50-acre hilltop with spectacular views. Its 30-year-old vineyard is farmed organically and known for producing award-winning wines. We tasted three last week, and recommend all of them. Read on to find out about their story, wine and beautiful inn. Continue reading
Many people we know are enjoying wine from the safety and comfort of home by ordering bottles online, utilizing curbside pickup services and participating in creative winery promotions during COVID-19.
We too are supporting wineries during these tough times. Here are some bottles we have poured (so far) in April.
What’s in Our Glasses Lately?
In April, our wine picks included whites, rosé and reds from Washington State and Spain. Some were wallet-friendly, while some were for special occasions – for example, our wedding anniversary and my birthday. And we enjoyed every single pour.
And I can’t say enough good things about the people, the wine, the food, the accomodations and the amazing hospitality. I will most definitely return to Carlton – and I highly recommend you think about visiting too.
I will definitely write more in future posts, but I’m traveling a lot in the weeks ahead, so for now, I’d like to give big thanks to the wonderful people in Carlton Wine Country, Seven of Hearts Wine, K&M Wine, Lobenhaus Bed & Breakfast – with special shout-outs to Thea, Lena, Bethany, Lynette, Byron and Ken.,
Here are some of my tweets I posted while I was visiting the wonderful Carlton on a Blitz bus (hence, the Twitter hashtag, #BlitzCarlton). Enjoy!
- First stop for #blitzcarlton #WBC12 is Seven of Hearts http://twitpic.com/alhrn2
- Wine bloggers at Carlton’s Walk on the Park. Post #WBC12 #blitzcarlton http://twitpic.com/ali7my
- Pinot Gris @7ofheartswine is refreshingly crisp on a warm day. (Stainless steel & barrel fermented #mustbuy #blitzcarlton
- K & M 2010 chardonnay an understandable award winner #blitzcarlton
- 09 Cuvee from K&M Wines is bright, beautiful & a new fave @kandmwines #blitzcarlton
- 2010 Luminous Hills Estate Pinot Noir wins Mr. Personality and only $28. Wow! #blitzcarlton
- Mmm pepper. Thank you @marycressler for encouraging me to taste GSM 2010 @7ofheartswine Bring on the steak! I am a new fan! #blitzcarlton
- Yea! RT @melanie0: @republicofjam Lovely ladies rocking hospitality. Some of my fav folks of all times #blitzcarlton pic.twitter.com/8wHHGOwb
- Ben Rice band is rocking the house @horseradish restaurant in Carlton. And love their blues. Oh yeah. #blitzcarlton #WBC12
- Late night with Lena @7ofheartswine: Cab Franc and chocolates Yummy! #blitzcarlton
- The Lobenhaus B&B in Carlton wine country is beautiful. Make time to stop over if you are near Portland OR #blitzcarlton #WBC12
- 3 cheers, no 10 for the wonderful people in Carlton wine country @CarltonWine So friendly, nice & mighty fine wine & food #blitzcarlton
- Good morning beautiful Lobenhaus B&B @Carltonwine. View from my patio! #blitzcarlton http://twitpic.com/als2f0
- This is definitely one place I am coming back to visit. Lobenhaus B & B @CarltonWine #blitzcarlton thanks! http://twitpic.com/alsoae
- Finally! I have wanted to taste @KenWrightCellars wine since 1997. And Ken is brilliant and funny #blitzcarlton http://twitpic.com/altw8w
- Love to learn – side by side cooperage tasting at @lemelsomwinery #blitzcarlton
- 06 Estate Reserve from @carloandjulian – wow that is special! @CarltonWine #blitzcarlton
- Brilliant! @CuveeRestaurant Thanks for a beautiful lunch #blitzcarlton @carltonwine @alexanawinery @bellepente and Carlo & Julian
- 2011 Cannon Beach Pinot Gris, Carlton Cellars, the crispest Pinot Gris in Oregon @Carltonwine #blitzcarlton http://twitpic.com/alvegv
- Pinot Blanc is the new burrito wine! @noblepig? #blitzcarlton
- Big reds loaded with fruit, 2010 Cab Franc is smooth & the Maserati of Cab Franc! @terravinawines #blitzcarlton @CarltonWine
- If you like big red wine, @terravinawines in @Carltonwine is a must stop in Oregon wine country. #blitzcarlton
- Donna Jean 09 Pinot Noir from Mouvance @Carltonwine is savory, silky & makes me want to sing like Michael Jackson #blitzcarlton
- 09 Old Vine Meritage: Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, Merlot, Malbec & Petit Verdot & I love it @trooncarlton #blitzcarlton http://twitpic.com/alwiee
So again, if you’re thinking about taking an Oregon wine country tour, plan to spend a day or two in Carlton!