Our enjoyment of summer white wines increases every year. Until recently, our palates preferred Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Gris/Grigio. But these days, we also appreciate the refreshing, wallet-friendly Turbiana grape from Lugana, Italy and Marsanne from here in Washington state. Most importantly, there are so many wonderful summer white wines. For example, here are 25 that we have enjoyed from Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, Italy, France, South Africa and New Zealand. Most of them are everyday, good-value porch pounders or deck wines, but a few shine with an elegant meal.
Summer White Wines
These super summer sippers pair with your patio or deck, poolside or lakeside. Moreover, they also complement fish, crab, scallops, oysters, shrimp, prawns, sushi or a tasty summer salad. To clarify, some of these wines we tasted are older vintages. Consequently, they might be sold out. But no worries, newer releases are usually available. Or maybe you’ll be lucky and find the older vintages in the wild.
- Alexandria Nicole Cellars Adulting Sparkling White NV
- Damsel Cellars Boushey Vineyard Marsanne 2020
- DeLille Cellars Chaleur Blanc 2019
- Devison Vintners Evergreen Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Hard Row to Hoe Nauti Buoy® Riesling-Gewurztraminer 2020
- L’Ecole Chenin Blanc Old Vines Yakima Valley 2020*
- Saviah Cellars Star Meadows White 2020
- Succession Chenin Blanc 2020
- Two Vintners Grenache Blanc 2018
Oregon and British Columbia
- Acrobat Pinot Gris 2021 (Oregon)*
- Bells Up Helios Estate Seyval Blanc 2021 (Oregon)
- Big Table Farm Wild Bee Chardonnay 2019 (Oregon)
- Blue Grouse Quill Q White Blend 2019 (B.C.)
- Domaine Serene Evenstad Reserve Chardonnay 2016 (Oregon)
- Sea Star Stella Marris White Blend 2020 (B.C.)
Italy, France, New Zealand and South Africa
- Albino Armani Colle Ara Pinot Grigio 2019 (Italy)
- Cantine Ermes Quattro Quarti Grillo 2019 (Italy)*
- Chateau Climens Asphodèle 2019 (France)
- Château de la Crée Meursault Les Tillets 2015 (France)
- Conte Vistarino Ries Riesling Renano 2017 (Italy)*
- Craggy Range Sauvignon Blanc 2020 (New Zealand)
- Greywacke Sauvignon Blanc 2020 (New Zealand)
- MAN Family Chenin Blanc 2020 (South Africa)*
- Pratello Catulliano Lugana DOC 2020 (Italy)*
- Selva Capuzza San Vigilio Lugana DOC 2020 (Italy)*
Summary: Summer White Wines
In conclusion, we hope you will consider trying some new white wines this summer. For instance, you can find whites that are crisp, refreshing and citrusy, with hints of minerality and salinity. On the other hand, you can also find rounded whites that are full-bodied and oaky, with flavors of tropical fruits. As a result, whatever your palate, you can find some special summer sippers to pair with warm evenings on your deck or patio, poolside or lakeside.
* Seven of these 25 wines are samples, however we either purchased the others or enjoyed them with friends or at tasting rooms.
Meanwhile, find us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. And of course, here, at Write for Wine – It’s Wine O’Clock Somewhere.
Margot and Dave