About 400 people stopped by Efeste throughout the day yesterday to taste pours from seven wineries and donate to a good cause — the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The event, Washington Wine Rocks, was a smashing success. There are so many wines to write about, but I just have time right now to name my favorites of the event:
- (complex Cab blended with spicy Syrah)
- Waters Winery 2006 Interlude (made from grapes from nine vineyards)
- Sleight of Hand Archimage (a rich red blend of five barrels from 2006 and two from 2005)
- Rotie Cellars 2007 Northern Rhone Blend (a co-fermentation of Syrah and Viognier)
- Rotie Cellars 2006 Southern Rhone Blend (a blend of Grenache, Syrah and Mourvedre)
- Sleight of Hand 2006 Spellbinder Red Blend (classic Bordeaux varietals, with a splash of Sangiovese)
In the weeks ahead, I’ll write more about these wines and the winemakers whom I had a chance to meet — although the event was so crowded and noisy, our conversation was somewhat limited. That being said, here’s to Efeste’s wonderful owners and winemaker for a superb event that will help a very good cause.