Good wine over the holidays helps to make the season fabulous. But “good” means different things to different people. Below is our personal list of special red wines that we enjoyed during 2018.
Of note, some of these wines are special because of their high quality and high price point. Others are simply special good-value wines enjoyed throughout the year.
We recommend opening them during a quiet evening at home, pouring them for guests, taking them to parties, or giving them as gifts.
Wines we recommend to grace your holidays
Whatever your holiday plans might be, we suggest these beautiful reds grace your holiday plans. You’ll find Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, Cabernet Franc, Syrah, Merlot and red blends from Washington, Oregon and British Columbia. There are many of them because we love red wine!
Of course, we have our perennial favorites: Alexandria Nicole Cellars, Barrage Cellars, Boudreaux Cellars, Columbia Crest, DeLille Cellars, Dunham Cellars, Efeste, Fidelitas, Saviah Cellars, Two Vintners and more.
Here is our list of special reds, in alphabetical order.
- Alexandria Nicole Cellars Jet Black Syrah 2016
- Andrew Will Cabernet Franc 2014
- Avennia Sestina Bordeaux Red Blend 2015
- Barrage Cellars Columbia Valley Red Wine 2016
- Barrister Cabernet Franc 2014
- Boudreaux Cellars Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 and 2010
- Boudreaux Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon 2012
- Columbia Crest Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2015
- Columbia Crest Grand Estates Cabernet Sauvignon 2016
- DeLille Cellars D2 Bordeaux Blend 2016 25th Vintage
- DeLille Cellars Four Flags Cabernet Sauvignon 2015
- Doubleback Cabernet Sauvignon 2016
- Dunham Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon XX 2014
- Dunham Cellars Founders Blend 2009
- Efeste Big Papa 2014
- Eight Bells David’s Block Red Willow Vineyard Bordeaux Blend 2013
- Fidelitas Quintessence Malbec 2017
- Estate Red 2013
- Henry Earl Red Mountain Merlot 2015
- J. Bookwalter Chapter 8 2015
- Lauren Ashton Cellars Cuvée Arlette 2014
- L’Ecole 41 Perigee 2015
- L’Ecole 41 Cabernet Sauvignon 2014
- Long Shadows Chester Kidder 2015
- Long Shadows Feather Cabernet Sauvignon 2015
- Mercer Estates Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2014
- Mercer Estates Eagle & Plow 2014
- Obelisco Electrum Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2014
- Otis Kenyon Matchless Red Blend 2014
- Passing Time Cabernet Sauvignon Horse Heaven Hills 2016
- Result of a Crush Claret 2015
- Result of a Crush Red Wine (Syrah) 2014
- Reynvaan In the Rocks Syrah 2013
- Saviah Cellars The Funk Estate Syrah 2013
- Saviah Cellars “The Stones Speak” Syrah 2015
- Secret Squirrel Red Bordeaux Blend 2014
- The Walls Concrete Mama Syrah 2015
- The Walls Stanley Groovy 2015
- Tinhorn Creek The Creek 2014
- Toil Oregon Pinot Noir 2016
- Troon Vineyard Cuvée Pyrenees 2016
- Two Vintners “Some Days Are Diamonds” Syrah 2015
- Upchurch Vineyard Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2015
- Va Piano Vineyards Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon 2015
- Woodward Canyon Old Vines Cabernet Sauvignon 2014
- Woodward Canyon Charbonneau 2014
Just in case
If these vintages are no longer available, try the new releases instead!
Regardless, we hope you stay safe, have a designated driver, and enjoy the season.
Cheers – and happy holidays!
Margot and Dave