When we contemplate the cold weather, our wine thoughts typically turn to rich reds in front of a cozy fire or paired with a hearty meal. But winter whites and rosé have a place too, especially during the holiday season. In addition, holiday whites and rosé are food-friendly and wallet-friendly wines. For example, white wine and rosé pair with seafood, shellfish, salads, pasta and Asian dishes. Consequently, read on to find out our Top 25 holiday whites and rosé from Washington, Oregon, California, B.C., France, Italy and New Zealand.
Whites and Rosé for the Holidays
Overall, we encourage you to try something new this holiday season. For instance, we prefer whites that are crisp, refreshing and citrusy, with hints of minerality and salinity. In contrast, some people prefer rounded whites that are full-bodied and oaky, with flavors of tropical fruits. Whatever your palate, without doubt, you can find some special wines to pair with your holiday festivities.
Our Top 25 Recommendations (in alphabetical order)
Of note, some of these wines are available in more recent vintages, and some wineries have holiday specials on prices and shipping. With this in mind, have a look at the winery websites, and then please support your local wineries.
- Alloro Vineyard Chardonnay 2018 (Oregon)
- Chateau Climens Asphodèle 2019 (France)
- Clos Du Soleil Fumé Blanc 2018 (British Columbia)
- Colli Vaibo Lugana DOC (Italy)
- Craggy Range Te Muna Sauvignon Blanc 2018 (New Zealand)
- DeLille Cellars Chaleur Blanc 2019 (Washington)
- Donnachiara Aletheia Greco di Tufo 2018 (Italy)
- Edmunds St. John Bone-Jolly Gamay Noir Rosé 2019 (California)
- Greywacke Wild Sauvignon 2016 (New Zealand)
- Hard Row to Hoe Shameless Hussy Rosé 2018 (Washington)
- JM Cellars Sauvignon Blanc 2019 (Washington)
- Jules Taylor Sauvignon Blanc OTQ 2018 (New Zealand)
- King Estate Pinot Gris 2018 (Oregon)
- Long Shadows Cymbal Sauvignon Blanc 2018 (Washington)
- Montonale Lugana DOC Montunal (Italy)
- Saint Clair Wairau Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2018 (New Zealand)
- Savage Grace Blanc Franc 2018 (Washington)
- Selva Capuzza Lugana Riserva DOC Menasso (Italy)
- Sgreva Lugana DOC Sirmio (Italy)
- Stoneleigh Latitude Sauvignon Blanc 2018 (New Zealand)
- Succession Wines Rosé 2018 (Washington)
- Two Vintners Grenache Blanc 2018 (Washington)
- Utopia Estate Chardonnay 2017 (Oregon)
- Utopia Estate Pinot Noir Blanc “Bliss” 2017 (Oregon)
- Villa Maria Taylors Pass Single Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc 2018 (New Zealand)
In conclusion, as 2020 winds down, we wish you a safe and happy holiday season, full of wonderful wine. Above all, we hope you stay safe, stay home, and enjoy the holidays.
Cheers – and happy holidays!
Margot and Dave