Congratulations to the Washington State Wine Commission and Visit Seattle for another successful Taste Washington at the end of March, capping off Washington state Wine Month.
Thousands of people participated in the annual celebration of the excellent juice made in this state — at the Grand Tasting, educational seminars, lunches on local farms and at restaurants, wineries, hotels and retailers that offered special deals and promotions throughout the month.
But we hope that people did more than taste the fine wine of Washington. We hope they appreciated it, and the hard work by people in our state’s wine industry – from farmers to vineyard managers to those in the production facilities, winemakers, distributors, marketing specialists, tasting room staff and more.
In particular, we applaud the workers in the vineyard who toil over the grapes and the terroir, the winemakers who balance creativity and science in every barrel and bottle, and their families who support this extreme effort.
We definitely appreciated every taste that was poured for us at the Grand Tasting. With 225+ wineries participating, we needed a plan. This year, we only tasted reds, and between the two of us, sipped quite a few. (Yes, it is imperative to spit or spill at the Grand Tasting!)
Here are some of our favorites, in alphabetical order:
- Alexandria Nicole Cellars 2012 Quarry Butte Red Bordeaux Blend
- Andrew Will 2011 Two Blondes Red Bordeaux Blend
- Barrage Cellars 2010 Outcast Cabernet Franc
- Barrister Winery 2011 Washington Cabernet Franc
- Canvasback 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon, Red Mountain
- Double Canyon 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon, Phinney Hills
- Efeste 2011 Big Papa Cabernet Sauvignon
- Fall Line 2011 Artz Vineyard Red Blend, Red Mountain
- Fidelitas 2012 Optu, Red Mountain
- Gramercy Cellars 2012 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
- Guardian Cellars 2011 Gun Metal Red Bordeaux Blend
- Hard Row to Hoe 2013 Barbera
- Matthews Estate / Tenor 2010 1:1 Bordeaux Blend
- Mercer Estates 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon
- Obelisco 2011 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, Red Mountain
- Sinclair Estate 2010 Pentatonic
- Walla Walla Vintners 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon and 2013 Cab Franc
- William Church 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon
As far as we’re concerned, every month is a good time to celebrate Washington state wine.
Margot and Dave