What a fun and educational day we had in Vancouver at BC Vintage 2022 last month. The event, hosted by Wines of British Columbia, introduced the new releases of several wineries and their winemakers.
It was wonderful to see Howard Soon of Vanessa Vineyard and Bailey Williamson of Blue Grouse Estate again, and meet Keira LeFranc of Stag’s Hollow, Laurent Fadanni of Whispering Horse and Nikki Callaway of O’Rourke Family Estate. Read on for details about the excellent wine coming out of each BC region they represent.
BC Vintage 2022
The media preview of BC Vintage 2022 highlighted five talented winemakers from different regions of British Columbia, including Vancouver Island, Fraser Valley, Similkameen Valley and Okanagan Valley. They discussed wide-ranging topics including climate, terroir, vineyard management and more. BC features 369 licensed wineries and 929 vineyards. The grape types are split almost evenly: 51% red and 49% white. BC Vintage 2022 focused on wines from Howard Soon, famed winemaker at Vanessa Vineyard, Bailey Williamson of Blue Grouse Estate, Keira LeFranc of Stag’s Hollow, Laurent Fadanni of Whispering Horse, and Nikki Callaway of O’Rourke. Unfortunately, Val Tait of Gold Hill Winery could not attend.
Consequently, we tasted 12 pours of wines from the six wineries, including Riesling, Pinot Gris, Rosé, Pinot Noir, Cab Franc and more. Certainly, we enjoyed them all. However, two wines stood slightly above the others. First, we think Stag’s Hollow Winery crafts the best Albariño we’ve tasted outside of Rías Baixas in Spain. Next, Vanessa Vineyard V Series white blend continues to impress each year.
Subsequently, at the reception after the tasting, Vanessa Vineyard Meritage 2014 and Gold Hill Sauvignon Blanc 2022 grabbed our attention.
Further, here is the list of the other noteworthy 2022 wines we sampled at the media event:
- Whispering Horse Winery Epicure, Fraser Valley
- O’Rourke Family Estate Riesling, Lake Country, Okanagan Valley
- Blue Grouse Estate Winery Pinot Gris, Cowichan Valley, Vancouver Island
- Gold Hill Winery Cabernet Franc Rosé, Oliver, Okanagan Valley
- Vanessa Vineyard Rosé, Similkameen Valley
- Stag’s Hollow Winery Dolcetta Rosato, Okanagan Falls, Okanagan Valley
- Whispering Horse Winery Adorn Sparkling Pet Nat, Fraser Valley
- Blue Grouse Estate Winery Pinot Noir (barrel sample), Vancouver Island
- O’Rourke Family Estate Pinot Noir, Lake Country, Okanagan Valley
- Gold Hill Winery Cabernet Franc, Oliver, Okanagan Valley
Summary: BC Vintage 2022
In conclusion, we continue to increase our knowledge and appreciation of BC wines as we taste standout reds, whites and sparklers from a variety of regions in the province.
Thank you, Wines of British Columbia, for the invitation and the introduction to the latest and greatest BC Vintage 2022.
Margot and Dave