We just got back from an amazing 3-day trip to Cascade Valley Wine Country, where we met some fantastic people, tasted some standout wines and ate too much delicious food.
The next time you plan a weekend getaway, we highly recommend this destination.
Our special thanks and applause go to Cascade Valley Wine Country and its director, Jean Ashby; Chelan and Douglas County Ports; Nancy Smith of the Leavenworth Chamber of Commerce; Mike Steel of the Wenatchee Chamber of Commerce; our Leavenworth guide, Ed Rutledge of Eagle Creek; and the many winemakers, winery and restaurant owners, and others who made our trip so memorable. (Truth be told, we visited 17 wineries and tasted additional wines at a speed blogging/tweeting event.)
Because my travels are continuing, I cannot immediately blog in-depth about our great adventures. So for now, here are highlights of my 100 tweets and photos that I posted live during the wonderful weekend. Enjoy!
- On a bus with @nectarwine @winepeeps @writeforwine @winebeerwa @wawinereport @winefoot @catie @decanterbntr
- At Stemilt Creek Winery – planted first grapes since ’99, but other fruit for 100 years. #cvwc … Tasting 06 Stemilt Hill Red
- 07 Cab Sauv @fieldinghills is so big it makes me crave steak. Talk about the Wow factor! It was #39 in Top 100 wines of world, Wine Enthusiast!
- At last I tasted the award-winning Cab Franc @fieldinghillswinery. As I was told would happen, I am in heaven. Rich smooth complex.#cvwc
- At Martin-Scott in Wenatchee #cvwc – beautiful location- nice Pinot Grigio, 2007 Malbec & a lovely Petit Sirah http://twitpic.com/2pfg3q
- At @stlaurent winery #cvwc. So beautiful. http://twitpic.com/2pg6hh
- Yes weddings are booked here @stlaurent winery #cvwc http://twitpic.com/2pg6hh
- 1st course @stlaurent was excellent shrimp & mango springroll from Ravenous Catering paired w/ riesling w/ notes of mango #cvwc both delish
- First look at Lake Chelan at Nefarious #cvwc http://twitpic.com/2pos98
- Tasting @Nefarious 2009 Viognier – the wine they take home at night. Creamy with pear flavors.#cvwc
- 2009 Consequence @nefariouswines is perfect for a warm day on the deck.55% Sauv Blanc 40% Aligote 5% Viognier.#cvwc
- At Tsillan Cellars ih Lake Chelan, Bob Jankelson, Mike Steel and @WinePeeps http://twitpic.com/2ppcsg #cvwc
- Next up at Tsillan is Bellisima Rossa, a well-rounded Bordeaux blend with Cab Sauv, Cab Franc and Merlot. #cvwc
- Pinot Gris grapes at Tsillan Cellars. http://twitpic.com/2ppy61
- Now at Karma, where a nice flight awaits us. Http://twitpic.com/2ppyma
- Lake Chelan is most definitely a place I will visit again – so beautiful, lush and a great experience. #cvwc
- Pond at Karma Vineyards – so pretty! http://twitpic.com/2pq64m
- Josh and Catie at @vindulac.#cvwc http://twitpic.com/2pqg2u
- I wasn’t a big Riesling fan until now @vindulac and its 2007 Lehm Dry Riesling. Mmmm. #cvwc
- 2009 Red Cafe Rose @vindulac is a refreshing blend of Cab Franc and Sangiovese, perfect as the sun shines now in Lake Chelan. #cvwc
- Happy to say that @vindulac 2007 Cab Franc lives up to the buzz, and the awards. Rich, mocha, chocolate -great way to end this visit. #cvwc
- Thank you Chelan and Douglas County Ports for this lovely experience for wine bloggers visiting Cascade Valley Wine Country #cvwc
- Musicians entertaining @bensonvineyards in Lake Chelan http://twitpic.com/2prsp1 Gorgeous! #cvwc
- 2008 Sangiovese @bensonvineyards would pair well with Dave’s spaghetti with meat sauce # cvwc
- I’ve got Rhythm! 2007 Rhythm @bensonvineyards, that is. Classy blend of syrah, merlot, cab franc & a touch of Sangiovese & cab sauv #cvwc
- Just arrived at Chateau Faire le Pont – such a beautiful location for live wine blogging #cvwc http://twitpic.com/2pta5g
- Chateau Faire le Pont, our host winery #cvwc, poured free-run 2006 Milbrandt Syrah – Jammy, peppery, and hitting all the right notes
- Next up, Craig @crayelle, switches us back to whites, and it’s 2008 dry Riesling with the motto “balance, character & longevity” #cvwc
- Wedge Mountain’s Charlie McKee has been making wine since 1955; tasting 2006 Charlie’s Stash Cab Sauvignon from Red Mountain #cvwc
- Baroness Cellars is pouring 2008 Nebbiolo aka the noble woman – young but very enjoyable & approachable – just released today! #cvwc
- Bergdorf Cellars poured hot, spicy Gluhwein – so different – served warm; a lovely winter drink … think après ski heaven! #cvwc
- Two faves from @hardrow – Cab Franc and Pinot Noir – thanks Judy and Don.#cvwc
- Mountain goats in Leavenworth #cvwc http://twitpic.com/2q1rro
- Bob Johnson, the original owner of Enzian restaurant in Leavenworth blowing his horn http://twitpic.com/2q20mj
- Silver Vineyards in Leavenworth where today’s tasting begins #cvwc http://twitpic.com/2q1yqn
- This is it – the group of wine bloggers in Cascade Valley Wine Country this weekend. #cvwc http://twitpic.com/2q2dhc
- Just arrived @winetidbits learning about Alan Yanagimachi wine making background #CVWC #WAwine 60% sales is apple wine. (via @winebeerWA)
- We are at the beautiful @icicleridge in Leavenworth #cvwc http://twitpic.com/2q2qyh
- Louis Wagner, patriarch @icicleridge, and his 1928 Chevvie pickup! http://twitpic.com/2q2uezhttp://twitpic.com/2q2uez
- Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon @icicleridge has a nice mouthfeel and notes of cherries- winner of a silver Seattle wine award. #cvwc
- Eagle Creek winemaker/owner Ed Rutledge hand-carved & painted these 2 beauties at his Leavenworth winery. #cvwc http://twitpic.com/2q3x2f
- Wine bloggers run wild at Eagle Creek Winery in Leavenworth #cvwc http://twitpic.com/2q407d
- Visconti’s restaurant continues to be a must-stop place on any trip to north central WA #CVWC
- Almost home after amazing weekend in Cascade Valley Wine Country #cvwc. Thanks to the Ports, Chambers, our great hosts Mike, Nancy, Ed & Jean.
Thanks again, Cascade Valley Wine Country! And cheers!