The annual Washington wine event Sexy Syrah was a sold-out success at Salty’s on Alki Beach in Seattle last night – and I had the honor and great fun of being a judge! With 44 wineries pouring 1-3 Syrahs, it was a challenge to taste them all. Luckily, that wasn’t an expectation, because there were 20 judges to share the “duties.”
Once again, my strong belief was affirmed – Washington state makes some fabulous wines! Here are both the judges’ results and the people’s choice for the best Syrahs (100%) and the best Syrah blends that were poured at Sexy Syrah at Salty’s.
- Gold: Tie! ’04 Forgeron Cellars Boushey Vineyard Syrah and ’06 NW Totem Cellars Elderling Syrah
- Silver: ’07 Kerloo Cellars Walla Walla Syrah
- Bronze: Tie! ’07 Lantz Cellars Rattlesnake Hills Syrah and ’07 Bunnell Boushey-McPherson Syrah
- Gold: ’08 Rotie Cellars Northern Blend
- Silver: ’07 William Church 2 Spires Blend
- Bronze: ’07 Bunnell Vif Blend
- Gold: Kerloo Cellars
- Silver: Tie! Bunnell and Rotie
- Bronze: Tie! Tefft Cellars, Wilridge Winery and Smasne Cellars
Congratulations to all the winners! And thanks to Sommelier David LeClaire, who organized Sexy Syrah, which also benefitted Fare Start.
Any event by David LeClaire is bound to be fun, so keep your eye on the his website for more activities in the months ahead. Next up – perfect for summer – Rose’ Revival and Other Cool Whites at Ray’s Boathouse on June 2.