We tasted many fine Washington wines this past weekend when we visited Yakima, Prosser, Horse Heaven Hills and Red Mountain. It’s impossible to list the best of those wines, but we do want to share our picks for the best of the wines at some of the wineries we visited (in no particular order).
When we drove back from wine country a couple of days ago, Dave said, “This trip confirms — again — what we have always believed: our favorite wineries offer fine wine, wonderful events and great people.” We’re fortunate that many of those great people have become our friends!
Come back for more details about these wines and about Alexandria Nicole’s fabulous Harvest Party we attended at Destiny Ridge Vineyard. And you can also follow my updates at http://twitter.com/writeforwine
We’re spending some time at Harvest parties in Horse Heaven Hills and Red Mountain, so the best way to follow our adventures live (or almost live!) is on Twitter (http://twitter.com/writeforwine) or possibly on Facebook ().
There are few places that are definites during our trip, and I’m sure there will be lots of surprises too! Here are the definites:
- Alexandria Nicole Cellars: The main party of our trip: Harvest Party at Destiny Ridge Vineyard in Horse Heaven Hills
- Col Solare: Tour of the vineyard in Red Mountain
- Gilbert Cellars: Fun tasting room in Yakima
- Airfield Estates: We were there during our last visit to Prosser and we’re going back!
- Windy Point: Pretty view in Yakima Valley
- Wine O’Clock Wine Bar: Can’t wait to see this Prosser wine bar, because this Write for Wine blog is also available at http://wineoclock.us and my motto is “It’s wine o’clock somewhere!”
And it’s wine o’clock now, so …
This just in from Wine Enthusiast’s December ratings for Alexandria Nicole Cellars (ANC) in Woodinville and Prosser … Props to winemaker Jarrod Boyle and Ali (Alexandria Nicole) Boyle!
91 points for:
- 2008 Late Harvest Riesling Horse Heaven Hills (Editors Choice)
- 2008 Crawford Viognier Columbia Valley (Editors Choice)
- 2006 Alderdale Cabernet Sauvignon Horse Heaven Hills
90 points for:
- 2008 Shepherds Mark White Blend Horse Heaven Hills
- 2007 Gravity Merlot Horse Heaven Hills
- 2007 Mr. Big Petite Sirah Horse Heaven Hills
Next week, we’re heading to ANC’s Destiny Vineyard in Horse Heaven Hills, where the grapes for these great wines are harvested on 243 acres on the high bluffs overlooking the Columbia River. We’ve been to both tasting rooms in Woodinville and Prosser, but never to the vineyard itself. We can’t wait!